Transfer Requests

Transfers Within MNPS

If you have moved and wish to transfer to the zoned school for your new address, call an Enrollment Center for an appointment. Required documents include current proof of residence and photo identification of the parent or guardian.


Hardship Transfers

The school district has an Emergency Hardship policy families can use to request transfers. Families must provide documentation that meets the guidelines stated on the form to receive an Emergency Hardship transfer. 

Download the Emergency Hardship form.


Continuity Transfers

A student who has been appropriately enrolled in a school and who moves to another zone during a semester may request a continuity transfer to complete through the highest grade in that school. Satisfactory written documentation of the new residence and the date of the move is required.

At the beginning of each school year, a student whose family will relocate to another school zone within the first semester may request to begin the school year in the new school. Satisfactory written documentation of the new residence and the date of the move is required. It is the responsibility of the receiving principal to verify completion of the move.

Please note that there are no longer Continuity Transfer forms. The family should provide proof of residence to the school. The school will provide a "Student Information Form" and collect the documents to update the new address. Also, there is no continuity in general between schools from tier level to tier level (elementary to middle or middle to high).


If your transfer request is denied, you have the right to appeal the decision in writing within 10 days.
To appeal a transfer decision, log back into your online account at or write a letter to explain your situation, the reasons for your request that the decision be overturned, and any additional documentation not previously provided.

Address your letter to:
Metro Nashville Public Schools, c/o Office of School Options- B407
Attn: Mr. Ashford Hughes
2601 Bransford Avenue
Nashville, TN 37204

You may bring your letter in person to the MNPS Family Information Center located at the same address, 2601 Bransford Avenue, or mail your appeal letter.

If you mail your letter, we recommend requesting a confirmation receipt from the postal service. Faxes are not accepted.


Transfer Documents